Monday, March 17, 2014

Guinness and Leprechauns: A Trip to Ireland

In honor of St. Patrick's Day, I'm share the highlights of a trip I took to Ireland several years ago. If you haven't had a chance to visit the Emerald Isle, this should convince you:

Mandatory stop at the Guinness Brewery on any trip to Ireland
Free beer at the Guinness brewery! It's a fun and informative tour, with two dark, bitter beers waiting for you at the end. Foam mustache, here I come!

Kissing the Blarney Stone in Ireland
Kissing the Blarney Stone. I don't know what I thought it would be like, but I certainly didn't think the old guy working there would hold me upside-down as I kissed a germy stone that millions have kissed before me. It all happened so quickly I'm surprised my friend was even able to snap this photo. But still an experience worth doing.

Birthday drinking games with none other than Guinness. I love Ireland!
My friend, Lindsay, and I both celebrated our birthday on this trip. And what better way than American-drinking-game style? We entered an empty pub on a Tuesday night, where the bartender was wiping down the worn wooden bar, clearly minutes away from closing up shop.

"I have three questions for you," I said.

"Go ahead, then," he replied with a smile.

"What's your cheapest beer?"

"Guinness."

"How late are you open?"

"As late as you need us to be."

"Is it going to bother you if 6 obnoxious Americans play drinking games? I can be really annoying."

"As long as you pay, we're good."

Oh, we were good alright. Since when is Guinness the cheapest beer on the menu? Ireland is the best!

Double rainbow and a pot of gold at the end in Ireland
One morning, just after a heavy downpour, we went on a stroll to the beach. And lo and behold, we saw this double rainbow (it's kind of hard to see the second one in the photo but it's there). But do you notice something else? There's a tiny yellow spot on the sand just below where the rainbow ends. We set out to see if it was true the there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow (hey, you never know). It's obviously not true, but having seen the yellow, glowing light, I now know where the legend comes from...

Want more? Subscribe to receive an email when I post a new article, or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Pinterest.

Life's short. Laugh more. Buy my books at Amazon.com.

Vicki Lesage, Author