Monday, October 5, 2015

8 Ways Substitute Teaching Prepared Me for Parenthood

Back in college I was a substitute teacher. You'd think that would mean it was the kids who were doing all the learning, but I learned quite a bit myself...


Today I'm over on BonBon Break with 8 things in particular I learned. If you count this as learning:

#5 Don’t let them pit you against their regular teacher/ the other parent.

“Mrs. Brown lets us talk while we write our essays.”

“Dad lets us eat pizza and candy for breakfast.”

“Mr. Elliott said it’s OK to eat Cheetos in chem lab as long as we share.”

Don’t be fooled! Your subs said it to you, now it’s your turn to say it: “Well, I’m not Mrs. Brown/ your Dad/ Mr. Elliott!” And go ahead and confiscate all that pizza and candy and Cheetos for yourself.


Want to find out the other 7 things I learned? Check out the full post: 8 Ways Substitute Teaching Prepared Me for Parenthood