Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Walking Dead Recap: Season 4 Episode 5: "Internment"

The Walking Dead Recap and Review: Season 4 Episode 5
I love Paris and I love zombies. If you like at least one, you've come to the right place. Here's this week's recap and review of The Walking Dead, "Internment", Season 4 Episode 5.

Rick turns from exiling Carol and tells Maggie right away. Granted, she asked, but I still have to give him credit. Looks like he learned his lesson about keeping secrets (recall the big "Everyone's already infected" secret) the Ricktator chose to keep to himself.

But that still only leaves Rick and Maggie to shore up the fences. Daryl, Michonne, Bob, and Tyrese are still off at the vet school and the rest of the group is either sick or quarantined. And those damn zombies keep pushing on the fence. Chill, zombies! Rick and Maggie would only be a tiny snack anyway so I'm not sure it's really worth all the effort, and for sure they'd be nothing but bones by the time the zombies at the back of the pack got to them. But I guess zombies aren't really known for their logic and reasoning skills.

Inside the quarantine, Hershel is heroically doing what he can to help each and every person, even the ones we viewers don't really care about. Sasha and Glenn are at death's door but they're heroically helping too. I give them mad props. I had the stomach flu a few weeks ago and it was all I could do to lift the remote control during my home makeover marathon TV-watching session. I'd like to think I'd be helping intubate people and play nurse's assistant but if we're being realistic, I'd be a zombie by now anyway.

My only complaint is that Hershel's Heroes keep leaving the damn cell doors open. Um, guys? I know we want to maintain some semblance of humanity but these people are minutes away from being zombies, meaning everyone else is minutes away from being zombie chow. Close the doors!

But they clearly didn't hear me screaming at the TV. So one dude died and turned and then started wreaking havoc in the cell block. Luckily stupid Lizzie was there to lure him away from everyone, which she did successfully until she tripped and he fell on her and tried to eat her brains. Still think they're just "different"?

Then things get really havoc-y and we have the following sequence of badassery:
- Hershel shoots the zombie, saving Lizzie. Not that we like her but I agree it needed to be done. Though poor Hershel hates killing zombies so this was clearly rough for him. I might have shed a tiny tear for him.
- Maggie hears the shot and is like "That's it bitches, I'm finally going in." She bashes her way in and starts taking out zombies. She has to make a choice between saving Glenn and Hershel and she... saves both! Badass. A few more tears might have dropped during this scene, just because I appreciate Maggie's tough decision.
- Rick takes Carl out of kiddie daycare and asks for his help with the fence. Carl nearly pees his pants with excitement. But the blasted fence finally caved (I'm surprised it took this long) and Rick and Carl go all Rambo on their asses and gun them all down. I even cried in this scene (let's blame the pregnancy hormones) because Rick had wanted to keep Carl away from all of this and he just couldn't. But, hey, at least Carl's a badass and was super useful.

Thankfully, the episode ends on a calm note. They clean up the bodies, the vet school crew returns with the magic medicine and everything can start to go back to normal- oh shit. Nope, nevermind. The Governor is hiding outside the prison, with his one good eye scoping out the joint. Uh-oh.

Next week: The Return of the Governor. I'm not sure if I'm excited or not. It seems we've kind of done everything we could with him and I wish he would just get over his revenge and move on. But since he hasn't, I understand the show needs to tie up the loose ends (that they left loose in the first place). See you then!